Merchandising Techniques for Home Decor
The majority of information our brains process comes in through our sense of sight (83%).We’re overwhelmingly visual when digesting information in comparison to our other senses. An effective display is therefore the key to maximising sales opportunities by capturing a shopper’s attention and interest.
- Displaying a product so it stands out among the other aisles or sections creates a focal point. for the shopper. This can be done by displaying merchandise on a fixture of a different type or colour.
- Distribute your best-selling merchandise at the front, centre, and back of the space to draw a shopper’s attention throughout the department. The most popular products should be in the back, so the shopper needs to pass by the other merchandise in order to get to it.
- Floor coverings can act as a path for the shopper to follow through the department. Different coverings can also suggest different rooms of the home. For example, displaying bedroom decor on carpet and kitchen decor on timber, separates the merchandise and makes them more distinct to customers.
- Low fixture heights allow the shoppers to see more merchandise. A view of the entire department encourages the shopper to explore the space. At the same time, small, organized groupings of merchandise let the shopper browse without being overwhelmed.
- Signage provides visual cues that can guide the customer through the department. Digital signage, including flat-screen TVs, is more dynamic and it can be used to advertise several products at once.
Lighting and Staging
- Areas of soft lighting highlight fixtures and create an intimate, home-like feel. The arrangement of a few “props” helps the customer visualize how the merchandise could look in her own home.
- Simple things like books, a blanket, and a chair can give the feel of a bedroom without having a bed take up space on the floor. In fact, simple displays are more effective because they keep the focus on the merchandise.
For help with merchandising, access to discounts with major suppliers and more, feel free to contact us. We’re here to help!